29 November 2010

Manic Monday


Murphy's Law: Anything that can go wrong, will.

From oversleeping to frost on the windshield to no gas... this Monday morning was definitely a manic one for me.

Which is why, as I am convincing myself not to sweat the small stuff (you're just 10 minutes late for work, there are WAY worse things that could happen!), I am also thinking about what I believe to be most important. For instance, not to sweat the small stuff, like that I am late, that my hair looks crazy today, that I don't really like my outfit, or that the cat knocked my alarm clock over... again. And instead be glad you're going to work, to a job that you love, that you HAVE a car to be frosty and a kitten who knocks things over, that you are in good health.

So today we take a page from the "thankful" book, and again think about the things that we truly think are most important. 

THIS I BELIEVE
I don't know if you've ever caught one of these essays when they air on All Things Considered on NPR, but they almost always bring tears to my eyes. Started by Edward R. Murrow, essays on the topic "This I Believe" are written and submitted by people--some famous, some not--and collected and sometimes recorded. 
A Public Dialogue About Belief:  http://thisibelieve.org/

I highly recommend checking out these essays, listening to a few, and seeing what comes to your mind. What are the things that you believe to be most important? What rules of the road do YOU live by?


THIS PAGE:

"This I Believe"

Create a page based around this closure. 

For example... "Chocolate is great. Yes, this I believe whole-heartedly." It can be that simple. But it can also be as complex as you like, a comment on your faith and beliefs, or possibly a dialogue about something you DON'T believe. How do you know what you believe without knowing what you do not believe?

Relax. Listen to yourself. Believe.

No comments:

Post a Comment